Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Wisdom of George

I've just finished reading George Cohen's autobiography, the aptly titled "My Autobiography". My Dad got me a signed copy for my birthday (thanks Dad!) and it's a really great read. Well written and astutely observed, George cuts straight to the point without ever being caustic. In one of the earlier chapter's George makes some excellent comments about the game of football which seem to me, to have a great deal of relevance to both Chris Coleman's recent reign and Lawrie Sanchez' forthcoming campaign.

"Football is a simple game but a lot of hard work goes into making it so ... it will always be about time and space."

"It is not rocket science or advanced calculus, but it is a lot of hard work and a lot of concentration and if you don't learn to think and sweat at the same time you're going to be in a lot of trouble"

I think these are statements that Lawrie would agree with completely and might be considered the blueprint for the way we are going to play. I'm sure Cookie would agree with them as well, but I'm not so sure he was able to put it across as succinctly as George does.

One last quote from George that made me chuckle, Alf Ramsey in plotting England's route past Portugal to the 66 World Cup final told Nobby Stiles "I want you to take Eusebio out of the game" to which Nobby paused for a few seconds before replying "Do you mean for life Alf?"

Get your own copy at Amazon.co.uk or at AbeBooks.co.uk.

No comments: